Master's thesis: Reducing cloud operation cost by feature optimization
Nowadays, many applications are hosted in the cloud. Especially for web-scale systems, consisting of many microservices, the number of resources that are used can get quite high. These resources include, for example, virtual machines, databases, message brokers and load balancers. Can we create a tool to detect the features of the cloud components that are used by an application?Solliciteer direct
- (Static) analysis
What do you get
- A challenging assignment within a practical environment
- € 1000 compensation, € 500 + lease car or € 600 + living space
- Professional guidance
- Courses aimed at your graduation period
- Support from our academic Research center at your disposal
- Two vacation days per month
What you will do
- 65% Research
- 10% Analyze, design, realize
- 25% Documentation
Often there are multiple components to choose from for a specific purpose. For example, there are different database options with different cost associated to it. AWS, Azure and GCP offer 12, 11 and 9 different database products respectively. Besides the out-of-the box options offered by a cloud provider, you could also run and manage your own (virtual) machines. Pricing calculators require you to choose the desired component, but do not assist in determining what component is optimal. An additional factor in this decision could be the need for scaling, and whether to scale horizontally or vertically.
We are interested in creating a tool to detect the features of the cloud components that are used by an application. By analyzing the application code or runtime the features should be determined. These features should be compared to the features provided by the available components. Based on this comparison, advice should be given on whether a different component could provide feature-parity at a lower cost, potentially with some trade-offs.
About Info Support Research Center
We anticipate on upcoming and future challenges and ensures our engineers develop cutting-edge solutions based on the latest scientific insights. Our research community proactively tackles emerging technologies. We do this in cooperation with renowned scientists, making sure that research teams are positioned and embedded throughout our organisation and our community, so that their insights are directly applied to our business. We truly believe in sharing knowledge, so we want to do this without any restrictions.
Read more about Info Support Research here.
What does Info Support offer you during your graduation period?
Of course, we offer you an excellent package of graduation conditions with various options. These include:
- Laptop, all necessary tools, and development environments to successfully carry out your assignment
- A graduation allowance, where you have the choice of:
- € 1000 gross per month
- € 500 gross per month + lease car with fuel card
- € 600 gross per month + accommodation in Veenendaal
During your graduation internship, you will be included in one of our business units and in our Research Center. This will give you a good understanding of the developments within our projects and our research projects.
In addition, Info Support offers you:
- A challenging master’s thesis at a solid, growing, and financially healthy company
- Professional and experienced guidance, hybrid working
- A graduation program with, among other things, training sessions, knowledge evenings, project visits, activities, and team, unit, and company outings
- Experimentation with new products and releases that are in the pre-release phase
- Brainstorming with other graduates and IT colleagues who are collegial and passionate
- Potential for a permanent position in our IT Top Traineeship program!
About Info Support
Info Support specializes in custom software, data/AI solutions, management, and training and is active in the Finance, Industry, Agriculture, Food & Retail, Mobility & Public, and Healthcare sectors. We provide solid and innovative solutions for complex and critical software issues. Our headquarters are located in Veenendaal (NL) and Mechelen (BE). At present, approximately 500 employees are employed by Info Support.
Info Support’s working method is characterized by a number of core values: solidity, integrity, craftsmanship, and passion. These core values are intertwined in our work and the way we interact with each other. This year, we were also named a Top Employer in the Netherlands!
To ensure that all employees are always up to date with the latest developments, Info Support has an in-house knowledge center that eagerly satisfies the hunger for more or different knowledge and skills.
Na je sollicitatie plannen we iets in en bespreken je (studie) loopbaan, interesses en ambities. We vertellen je over Info Support en jij kan al je vragen stellen.
Gaan we verder? Dan doe je een assessment van je professionele kennis en persoonlijkheid (capaciteit, competenties en motieven).
Vervolgens plannen we een selectie interview waarin we dieper ingaan op je professionele kennis en je persoonlijkheid.
De ondertekening van een contract
Verloopt alles positief dan ontvang je een contractaanbieding. Zijn we het eens? Dan starten we de pre-employment screening en nodigen we je uit voor de tekenmomenten.